Beardog is a colloquial term used to describe a group of prehistoric mammals known as “Stylocionids”. These were small, carnivorous mammals that lived during the early Eocene epoch, around 56 to 48 million years ago. They were early members of the carnivore family and had a unique combination of both canine and viverrid-like characteristics.
- Stylocionids were among the earliest true carnivores and filled a similar ecological role as the modern day weasels or ferrets.
- They had long, narrow skulls with large, sharp teeth, suggesting that they were effective hunters and scavengers.
- Stylocionids are known from several fossils found in North America and Europe, providing important evidence for the early evolution and distribution of carnivores.
- They lived during a time of global warming, known as the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum, and their fossils provide important evidence for the effects of climate change on early mammals.
- The name “Beardog” comes from the thick, bony protuberance located near the jaw, which may have served as an anchor for powerful jaw muscles, allowing them to effectively bite and crush their prey.
Artist: José Jorge Pereiro. For larger scales, print will be in parts.
This is a high quality miniature 3D printed by Speira Miniatures in Sweden.
You can paint it as any normal miniature, no need to wash it beforehand. It is delivered unpainted.
Usable for dioarama, wargaming or tabletop role-playing games, such as Dungeon and Dragons, Warhammer, Pathfinder and so on. Also great as decor in your home if you order the large scales. We can always transform any model into a bust if you like, please contact us.
Due to the inherit nature of 3D printing the miniatures might contain imperfections and could require additional cleanup where the support have been; use sand paper or green putty for example. Print layers will sometimes be visable.
3D resin is brittle, even if we use a mixture than makes it more flexible. However it cannot be compared with the normal plastic that is used for example Warhammer, Marx or Conte miniatures. Handle the 3D prints with care, a fall can break them. Glue info here.